Google
 

Monday, November 19, 2007

 

It's the players, stupid!

The other week I decided to build a new home for one of my rabbits, Bintang his name after a local beer. As I gazed at the plans I marveled at what I hoped would be Bintang's own little palace for years to come. It was as near to Bunny heaven this side of the M6 and I couldn't wait to get started.

It didn't take long for my dreams to be dashed. Much of the wood I'd got was useless. The nails bent too easily. I had left a hole for him to poop merrily into but I'd left no way for me to remove said shit. The wire mesh was too sharp at the edges. And the roof caved in come the first monsoon. The result was one drenched and fully miserable looking rabbit. But it had looked so good on paper.

Formations are much my like plans for Bintang's luxury pad. 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-3-3. Oh and don't forget we have the man in the hole. 4-1-3-1-2 or 4-4-1-1. I don't ever recall Brian Clough or Bill Shankly discussing formations at any great length. Maybe they did in the changing rooms but I'm sure it was more a case of '...and if their centre forward gets too close to goal I don't care which one of you bastards does it but break his bloody leg.'

Watch Arsenal. They line up at kick off time 4-4-2. Then it goes out the window. With so many red shirts piling forwards at any moment defenders must feel like General Custer at the Little Big Horn. Which way to turn? Now, what did the boss say if their left back overlaps I must, hold on. Clichy is the left back but this is Adebayor going down the line and we were told that if the big man goes wide then Hutchie has to follow him and Gatesy covers Hutchie while I...

Formations are like every other theory put forward by mankind to try and bring some meaning to life. They look good on paper but they fail to take into account people. It's the players that make the difference between a good time and a bad team, not pretty patterns on a chalk board.

If I want numbers I'd take up Bingo...

BTW Me and a mate finally knocked up a reasonable abode for Bintang that used all he sodden materials and till now he seems happy enough. Especially as he has found the front door doesn't lock...

Comments:
They gotta justify their pay packets somehow don't they?
 
that s probably about it. these pundits need to show off their expertise or all they have are their opinions and we all have them don t we
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?